Monday, November 10, 2008

Example products

- New York Times article on sewage and storm runoff by Anthony DePalma - Aug. 11, 2007

I liked this article for three reasons:
1. It combined qualitative and quantitative data, providing numerical evidence and shocking statistics in concert with quotes and simple explanations. I will try to emulate this article's wonderful mix of the above elements in my own article.
2. It addressed an important issue and gave reasons for its importance. The article educated me on the archaic sewage system of New York and provided simple yet profound examples of how it is not up to the challenges of rising temperatures and population.
3. The article caused me to think about the situation for a few minutes when I was through reading. The author achieved this by describing an ironic situation that throws light on how people think (If you are curious read the article), which left me pondering, among other things, why there is so much cement and asphalt everywhere.

If I can use some of the techniques I noticed in this article, I would be much happier with my final product than otherwise. Another article I found useful was:


Three things:
1. It had nice pictures, which helped by making it more aesthetically appealing.
2. It contained information that was relevant to me, because of what I am studying in biology class. Obviously an article needs to be about a topic people can connect with and use, or they either won't find it interesting or just not read it.
3. It had a huge amount of evidence and quotes sewn into it, adding weight.

If I can keep these points in mind while writing my article I am sure I will stand a much better chance of getting a good grade and being personally satisfied with my writing.

No comments: