Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Another H2O project post

1. So far I am discovering the inherent difficulty of amassing enough accurate scientific resources to compose an informative, interesting, structured, and complex editorial about an issue that I have no knowledge of.

2. I am surprised by how difficult it is to "get the ball rolling", so to speak, and also find good internet sources that answer my questions. It would seem that the vast, ethereal, extra dimensional space that is the internet is filled with nothing but poorly written, highly uninformative pseudo-advertisements and tiny websites that have no purpose. I do not know why Google has attained such notoriety, because there is no way anyone could search through more than a few pages of the results. I hope to find a better, more concise search engine in future to facilitate more expedient data retrieval. It seems strange to me when I consider that Google is the only way I or anyone else seems to navigate the convoluted and myriad threads of binary code that the internet consists of (I think it consists of binary code but I could be wrong), and stranger still to consider the immaterial nature of this nigh ubiquitous resource. What is the internet exactly? Does it have a central section? A physical headquarters? A brain? Anything even remotely resembling anatomical structure? Or is it simply code floating around in some indefinite space that we cannot penetrate with any of our natural senses? That seems ridiculous to me, not the concept of an intangible location, but the fact that if it occupies an impalpable dimension, it had to have gotten there somehow, and since the internet is man-made, it follows that this jumble of code was introduced to the area by human hands, which I do not believe to be possible.

3. My next steps are to prepare for a survey and ask anyone and everyone who might have even a scrap of marine knowledge all I can to better my own understanding of my question (which is practically non-existent).

No comments: