Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Honors Blog

Dear reader,
Before writing anything about the topic, I must clarify that I am not in honors, and so am not obligated to write this blog. However, I am going to do so anyway, because it seems like such an excellent prompt. Unfortunately, I have not read any of the same material about the decision that the real honors students have, so my blog will be, in the main, devoid of factual backup. I will also not strain myself to fit any deadlines, because I hate them. I will also not bother to follow any logical train of thought until I have compiled enough observations to organize them in a complete blog entry.

The decision to use atomic weapons on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945 was one that would linger in the debate halls and blog prompts of humanity for generations. 

On the one hand, governmental decision makers would have known atomic bombs would kill thousands and thousands of innocent Japanese, but on the other, casualties could be just as high (indeed higher) in a conventional assault. The question then, becomes whether Japan should have been attacked at all or pressured to reach diplomatic understanding.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This boy was truly gifted. This is so very tragic.